Meditation – an individual focuses their mind on a unique, singular object, thought or activity, to achieve a state of mental clarity and emotional calmness.
Since Healthy Living Bud-e focuses on improving overall health through natural, holistic methods, meditation is high on the list of many helpful techniques used to improve your state of being.
By definition, meditation is a practice used to achieve a mentally clear and emotionally calm state.
Calm and mentally clear allow your body to cope with stress. The act of meditation reduces stress. And since stress is so harmful to your overall well-being, meditation should be an important part of your health routine.
10 Reasons Why You Need Daily Meditation
- Meditation helps you relax, find peace, and ease tension. When you achieve this you can control and manage your stress levels.
- Meditation allows your body to increase its levels of nitric oxide, a naturally occurring compound that dilates your blood vessels. When your blood vessels dilate, your blood pressure drops. Normal blood pressure improves your cardiovascular and immune health and allows you to sleep better.
- Meditation reduces stress. It can also reduce symptoms in people with stress-triggered medical conditions, such as anxiety.
- Meditation can improve depression, creating a more positive outlook on life.
- Meditation enhances self-awareness. Get to know yourself. It can provide a path to positive life improvements.
- Meditation improves your mind by increasing memory and your attention span.
- Meditation improves your mood and opens up your empathy centers, allowing you to be kinder and more sympathetic.
- Meditation helps you develop mental discipline. In turn, this allows you to develop the willpower to avoid triggers associated with unwanted impulses. As a result, you can recover from addiction, lose weight, and redirect any unwanted weaknesses.
- Meditation can diminish the perception of pain in the brain. So in addition to medical care or physical therapy for chronic pain, try meditation.
- Meditation teaches you to breathe through adversities, providing you with patience to deal with trying situations.
There are more benefits to meditation. Too many to list here. Get ?? for more information about this.
15 Ways Chronic Stress Harms Your Body
Stress literally stresses out your body, it’s organs, it’s systems, everything. With modern lifestyles being so hectic, stress occurs. It is part of our lives. But it does not have to take over.
Stress causes your heart rate and blood pressure to go up. If these occur consistently and daily, one, some, or possibly most of the harmful unhealthy conditions listed above can occur—too many and too serious to ignore.
You must learn to bring your heart rate and blood pressure back to normal levels. You can do this through Mediation. And it does not take an excessive amount of time! Meditating for a few minutes every day helps you let go of stress and allows you to achieve a relaxed state of mind.
- Meditation is something everyone can do to improve their mental and emotional health.
- You can do it anywhere, without special equipment or memberships.
- Meditation courses and support groups are widely available.
- There are many various styles, each with different strengths and benefits.
- Through meditation, you might be able to get your heart rate and/or blood pressure under control without medication. As always, consult with your physician.
Trying a style of mediation that coincides with your needs and goals is a great way to improve your quality of life, even if you only have a few minutes to do it each day.
Helpful Hints for Better Meditation
- Find a quiet place, free of external noise and distractions.
- Put your phone on mute and leave it in your purse, another room, or at home!
- Shut off your home phone. This is your time!
- Buy a water fountain or wall-mounted waterfall. The sound of flowing water is extremely soothing and helps you achieve “your calm” for maximum benefit during meditation.
- Stream meditation music or play a meditation CD.
- Pick a position that is comfortable for you. To benefit the most from meditation, you should be in a comfortable position and meditate for at least 5 to 10 minutes each day.
- Wear comfortable clothing.
- Be creative.
- Meditation does not have to be done in the “traditional” pose of sitting, legs crossed, hands placed on your knees, palms up with your thumb and index finger touching.
- You can meditate in any comfortable position.
- The objective is to reach a calm relaxed state. Sitting, lying down, even standing if you can reach the calm. This is totally personal.